Monday, 8 August 2011

VS10XX Real Time Midi mode

Date: 8th August, 2011

Aim: to connect and configure the VS10XX Midi/Mp3 shield to output an analogue audio signal based on midi messages.

Equipment:
Arduino Uno
Spark-fun shield
Spark-fun VS10XX
Board pins
Connecting cables
3.5mm Stereo adaptor

Setup:

To begin I soldered board pins along all the sockets on the VS10XX. Although I didn't need all the pins it was easier to do them all in one go. However, there are various warnings instructing unused pins should be left unplugged. I have not encountered any problems thus far however touching the board while in use causes static and a crash.



Arduino To VS10XX Connections:
Arduino 5V -> VCC
Arduino Ground -> Ground
Arduino D3 ->RX
Arduino d4 -> Reset
Arduino d10 -> I/O 1

VS10XX to Headphone Connections:
VS10XX Left -> headphone adaptor left
VS10XX Right -> headphone adaptor right
VS10XX GBUF -> headphone adaptor ground

Code:
VS10XX/Midi Example/Midi_Sound_Test

Using the base code from the Spark-Fun midi example the Arduino resets the VS10XX via the D4 pin and sends Midi signals through a soft serial port on the D3 pin. The VS10XX turns this midi commands into an analogue output that can be ran straight into a headphone or amp. This code simply plays through the various instruments.

To make the VS10XX boot in Real Time Midi mode I/O01 is set to High via pin10 out power-up.

Results:
Running the output from the VS10XX input my laptop I was able to hear the sounds I expected. The midi messages sent by the Arduino were being converted into real analogue sounds byt eh VS10XX. I used garage band on my laptop as an amplifier as recorded and monitoring the input level is very simple. From here I will need to remove the test tones and create midi signals based on a sensor input.

No comments:

Post a Comment